Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Things The Home Inspector Doesn't Find

My new home is lovely and really there's nothing majorly wrong with it. But there are some things that the home inspector just didn't find.

The first challenge I faced was ants. Northern Virginia is one big ant hill. I knew that from my last house where the ants once invaded so badly that there was quite literally a stream of them from my front hall closet to my kitchen, carrying bits of cat food away. Disgusting. This house clearly has the same problem, which I found out the morning before I left for Florida. I was desperately afraid that, after two days with food laid out, I would come back to the same situation as in the other house. But in the end, the ants weren't that bad. The exterminator has been here, and the situation is under control. And it's just an example of what the home inspector doesn't find.

As I've posted before, this house has very nice appointments. Some of the nicest are three amazing full baths, with tile and glass enclosures. They are truly lovely. But...the shower head in the guest bathroom on the top floor squeals about one minutes into using it. The shower head in the master bath is so high that the water gets too dispersed before it hits me. Which is why I've been using the squealing guest bath. I'm going to try the other guest bath tomorrow. We'll see how it does. There's nothing really wrong with either shower head. They work. Just not how I would ideally want them to.

Tonight, I tried to change the water filter in the refrigerator. When you open the door, the light indicator for the filter is red. Which basically means that the filter is not doing its job anymore. So I bought a new one. And I can't get the old one out. The instructions say to twist it a quarter turn counter clocckwise and pull it out. But the filter doesn't turn either way. At all. Again, not something on the home inspector's list, but something that it would be awfully nice to have work.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining really. You just wish that the home inspector could tell you everything that you might need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment