Monday, March 7, 2011

Confronting Mortality

For nearly 20 years, I've had friends and family remark that my parents seem younger than their years. The worst health issue they had until the past few years was my mother having knee replacement surgery.

Then a couple of years ago, Dad had some health issues. He had to have a pace maker put in. But even that is a fairly common and fairly nonintrusive procedure. At 82, it didn't seem like a big deal.

Still, aging happens, and in the past year or so, my father has become noticeably more infirm. He has walked with a bit of stoop for many years, and he has walked slowly for about the same amount of time. But more than that, his stamina has diminished as well.

Last week, my mother had her other knee replaced. She's recovering well. But her recovery is likely to be longer because she's that much older. When I went to see her, she mentioned that she had had a rough night with pain. Because she did, Dad didn't get much rest. When I saw him, he looked exhausted. I'm sure a few nights of good sleep will help restore him. And Mom says he's going to work on getting more exercise - which will be good for him.

And yet....it's become clear that, as much as it isn't fun to admit it, my parents are finally getting old. I'm not trying to deny it. I'm just recognizing that it's time to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment