Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Cute Boy

So I'm trying to decide whether the cute salesman from one of the moving companies I've been talking to was flirting with me because he was trying to make a sale or flirting with me because he was interested.

First, let me say that he's probably too young for me anyway. I'm a terrible judge of these things, but I don't think he was over 40. I have no problems dating a little younger, but that might be pushing it. That being said, it's interesting to consider the possibilities. Now, let's examine the interactions and see what conclusions we can come to.

We started inventory for the move on the main floor - living room, dining room, kitchen. He said he was taking notes about how many boxes I would have, in addition to furniture, so we glanced through kitchen cabinets. He noted that my cats were well fed - there was a full supply of cans in the pantry. First personal comment.

Moving into the living / dining room, I noted that I collect vases and wondered if I should move them or whether they would. He said they moved State Department people around the country, so he thought they could handle a few vases and pictures (I asked about those too). A salesman kind of thing to say, of course. Name dropping, as it were.

We went downstairs, where he noted that the cats were not "people" cats. Which is true. Big chickens, both of them. I guess he noted this because he didn't see them. Hmmm.... Not sure what that was all about. I have an exercise ball in my downstairs. He asked me if I actually used the ball. I said that I did, actually (I had used it just the night before). Another personal comment. (FWIW--he was obviously a bodybuilder)

We came upstairs to the bedrooms. We talked a little about the challenges of moving the big armoire in my guest room. He thought it would be okay (other mover wasn't so sure). I opened the closets to show him the clothes and stuff (to determine boxes and wardrobes). He said they would dismantle and put back together the beds - nice! Conversation confined to moving.

I showed him the little closet in my master bedroom. He commented that I didn't have *that* much of a shoe collection. Of course, that's only the summer shoes. Then we went to the big closet, where the rest of my shoes are and my boots. His comment - he'd seen more shoes; I didn't have *that* many. But then he picked up my pink suede boots and said "But I'm not sure about these." To which I replied "I have a matching sweater". And he said, "You need a sun dress to go with them too". Interesting...

Back to the kitchen to talk more specifics about the move and for him to give me a brochure. He pointed out some of the more salient parts - things movers aren't supposed to move (did you know that includes jewelry - interesting) and some other things. Like loaded weapons and ammunition. He said "You don't have any ammunition, do you?" I said, in flirting mode, "No, but I do have some nunchucks. The State of Virginia considers those weapons." Ha, ha, ha. Now, normally when I bring up my martial arts background, guys say something really stupid like "Oooh, I'm afraid of you". Yuk! He said "I like a woman who can protect herself". Right answer!

Then he scratched his back. He explained (not that I hadn't noticed; his nose was bright red) that he'd gotten a sunburn this past weekend and it was now starting to peel - hence the scratching. I noted that I had gotten some sun over the weekend too driving around with my top down. Now, the last guy I had just met that I said that to made the retort "Top down? Oh, you mean the car". Which I think was meant to be cute, but just came off as a little sleazy. This guy said, "Yeah, you need to be careful about that." Much better. I said that I had gone out on Saturday and gotten a little too much sun with a t-shirt on, so on Sunday I went out with a tank top to even out the color on my arms and avoid a farmers tan. I didn't mean that to be provocative, but it kind of came off that way. He said that I couldn't really cure all my tan lines driving around in my car, because if he saw someone (me?) driving without a shirt on, he would drive off the side of the road. Why did I not see this as a sleazy comment? Not sure. We were flirting. It was cute in flirting mode. I said that, even when I'm wearing a top with spaghetti straps, I notice guys checking out my bare shoulders and seeing whether there is anything else to see. He said "Well, if a good-looking woman like you were driving down the street with bare shoulders, I'd check it out too. Well, really I'd check you out anyway." Now, that's really getting personal, no? We went on to talk about something else (not important), and then we getting ready to go I put my sunglasses in the collar of my shirt (I do that all the time rather than putting them on my head or back in my purse), and I guess it brought down the neck of my shirt a little more because he said "Yes, you did get a little sun this weekend, didn't you?" Now, with the other guy, that would have annoyed me. With this guy, I guess I was okay with his noticing my cleavage.

During the course of our walking around, he also mentioned that it's just him and his dog (we were talking about not having a really big bed - height-wise - he liked my platform beds). That's the kind of personal detail that I would drop if I wanted a guy to know that I was single. Same for him? Hmmm.... Or he could have just been creating empathy by making himself similar to me - single with pets. Trying to make the sale.

So now I wonder? Flirting to make a sale? Flirting because of possible interest? If I do hire these movers, then I'll see him again to finalize the deal and get boxes from him. But if I do hire these movers, I think I will not try to explore anything more than flirtation until after my move. Because I wouldn't want it to be awkward if he wasn't interested. Or even if he was. Because if he was, he also might not be willing to show it unless or until the move was over. To avoid a conflict of interest, as it were. So things to think about.

But mostly, it was fun to flirt again with a cute boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment