Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Realities Of Dream-Land

Last night, I had a dream about an old crush. No, this will not be an X-rated post. It wasn't that kind of dream. But it did remind me that I haven't had a crush in a while. The fact that I dreamt about a crush who has long since moved away, even if we do keep in the occasional touch, is a sign that there just hasn't been anyone of interest in my life lately.

I've never been one to dream about the truly unattainable. The famous, for example. Given the opportunity, I'd love to meet George Clooney. Last night, I watched two "chick flicks" with Jude Law and Will Smith in the leading roles. Romantic leading men who say all the right things and sweep the leading ladies off their feet. But I can't remember ever dreaming about such a thing. Even my dream-land is based in reality in that regard. I only tend to dream about people I've actually known.

And my imagination rarely, if ever, includes fantasies that could have but didn't happen. Call it dreamus-interruptus. More often, my dream-land reality mirrors my real reality, with wishes and hopes and fantasies about how I might convince a crush to become more than that. But in dream-land, as in the real world, they turn me down. Or I wake up.

Which I find fascinating for many reasons, not the least of which is that I'm an incurable romantic. You would think that I would be able to suspend disbelief in my dreams and attain the unattainable. I guess my pragmatic side just can't step aside long enough for that.

I'm sure Freud and Jung would have much to say on the subject. But for me, it's not all bad. It would be hard to regularly dream about things I can't have. I get enough of that in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment