Sunday, December 20, 2009

#100

This is my 100th blog entry. Amazing. I haven't been as faithful as I was when I first started. I haven't written every day, and some days, my post is pretty pitiful. But I have kept it up. And that's saying something.

We're supposed to be adding a blog to my company's website. I got a note about it about a month, suggesting that we do so. With only a handful of people, several projects that require everyone's attention, not to mention a proposal or two, I wondered how that was going to happen. Blogs are really only a good thing if they are maintained. A blog that only gets new entries every once in a blue moon is more embarrassing than not having a blog at all. In theory, the blogging responsibilities will be shared among at least three people, possibly four. So you would think it would get done and updated. But in reality, each one of those people is moving at 100 mph and not having much luck keeping up with all they have to do. Which is good for our business - since most of that is paying work - but not good for our chances of having a blog that stays up to date.

When I started this blog, my goals were several. To stretch my writing skills again. To share my thoughts. To convince myself that I could/would write every day. Well, I failed on that last one, but succeeded with the other two. For the most part, I feel like my posts have been pretty well written. Some of them have been worthy, even, of being reposted on Facebook. Where I post them as Notes. One of them even got re-posted by one of my Facebook friends. A very nice compliment.

I don't have any "followers". Well, I have one, but it's me so it doesn't count. But I know there are a few people who do read my blog because I have gotten notes from them. My sister, for example, posted a comment on one of my posts. And I know she's read at least one or two other posts. I have a few friends who seem to read my blog pretty often. So that's nice. And when I posted about giving to charities this time of the year, and mentioned the animal rescue that I volunteer with, I got a note from them thanking me for the shout-out. So although technically I have no followers, I do have people who read my blog. Which is a nice thing.

When I first started blogging, I also used to use the "labels" box to index my blog. I figured it would help with my blog being "found" by the search engines. And maybe then I would get a few followers. But lately, I haven't bothered with that. Search engines, after all, use the words as much as any indexing to find items of interest. And really, I'm not all that concerned about my blog being found. I'm not trying to make money off of it or anything. Mostly it's an exercise for me. And a way to get my thoughts into the world. Whether or not anyone reads them or cares.

So here's to another 100 in 2010. At least. Presumably I'll post a few more times between now and the end of 2009, though I won't be home many evenings between now and then. Still there are some major events to come in the next 11 days. Family picture. Christmas eve. Christmas. Chris' birthday. New Years Eve. Bound to be something to say in all of that.

1 comment: