Thursday, January 20, 2011

Has It Been Two Years Already?

I noted the date today as Inauguration Day, every four years when we elect a new president. So two years ago, today, was the day we inaugurated our first black president.

I don't usually go political in my blog. There are many political blogs out there already, and most of the time I'm only semi-informed anyway. But I couldn't help but notice the date and think back to the energy and enthusiasm that you could feel across the country just two short years ago, and where we are today. It's sad how quickly the tides turn.

This morning's Washington Post had a headline of "House pass health repeal; move is mostly symbolic". 245 members, including three Democrats, voted to repeal the healthcare legislation that the previous Congress passed about a year ago. Healthcare reform is something that I pay attention to as my work involves federal health IT systems and so is obviously affected by these kinds of major changes. Both the ARRA legislation and the healthcare reform act (Affordable Care Act) will have a major impact on our industry. Apparently the symbolic gesture will now be followed by attempts to whittle away at the provisions of ACA.

The bee in the bonnet - at least from what little I know - seems to be requiring everyone to have health insurance or pay a fine for not having it. Personally, I think insurance - any insurance - is a bit of a racket. Generally, I think, we end up paying for much more than we receive in return. For example, I've had automobile insurance since I've owned cars. So since 1986, when I bought my first car, I've paid $60-100 a month for this insurance coverage. That's 25 years x 12 months x all those dollars = a whole lot more than the one claim I ever had to process. But most states do require auto insurance. In Virginia, you can not have it, but you have to declare that and I think you pay extra on your car (maybe; I don't really know). From what I understand, there was a hue and cry when automobile insurance first became required, as well. Now I think most people take it as a given.

But the other thing I think about is the difference in costs - auto vs. health. Worst case scenario, your car is totaled. For most of us, that's not more than $20k or $30k that the insurance company would have to shell out. Considering I've paid out about $20k insurance over the years, seems about right. But the costs associated with health are both larger and potentially longer. Your car gets totaled; you get a new car; you essentially start the car process all over again. Your new car isn't affected by the old car's accident.

But with your health, everything that happens can have long-term consequences. That same accident that totaled your car may have hurt you as well. Probably did in fact. And only a few days in the hospital can quickly equal the total of what we have paid into health insurance. So I believe that health insurance actually is worth paying for. The other reason that health insurance is important is for preventive care. Most auto insurance doesn't cover routine maintenance of your car. But health insurance should cover routine maintenance of your body. Because preventive care has been proven to improve people's health overall and reduce the costs of care in the long term. Without health insurance, people don't go for routine care. They only go when something really bad has happened. And they may not have a usual doctor who knows their history and what medications they may be taking. That can cause problems as well.

So I believe that requiring health insurance will be a good thing. And I believe that Obama was right to push for it. And I'm sad that the House (and others) are trying to whittle away at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment