Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Losing Track Of Pop Culture

I may be 48, but I try to keep up with what the younger generation watches and listens to. For many years, I have prided myself on being the only kid in my family who knows the names of top pop singers and current TV shows.

I'm pretty good. I even own music by some of the hottest acts in the country. I have P!nk's last CD - which I love. I have Train's last CD - which is okay. I like Taylor Swift's music, but haven't bought any yet. I know who Lady Gaga, Ke$sha, Usher, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, and Katy Perry are. I don't like any of them, but I know some of their music. Sort of. But Cee Lo Green? I only know his name because of Glee. Nick Minaj? I know her because she wore all leopard-spotted clothes to the Grammys. Taio Cruz? No idea. Keri Hilson? Pitbull? What?

I have some of the same problems with TV. I do watch Glee, though I was a late-comer. I've never watched The Office, 30 Rock, and a bunch of the ABC sitcoms, but I know the basics, including most of the stars. I think the Jersey Shore is disgusting, but I know something about the show and the "stars". But I don't watch Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, or any of the other CW shows; True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, or any of the other HBO shows; or Burn Notice, White Collar, Royal Pains, or any of the other USA Network shows.

As a result, there are paparazzi pictures, stories on entertainment shows, and other media news that mention things that happened in pop culture or "famous" people and I have no idea who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment