Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tipping Point

It's chicken vs. egg time. Last night, at 3:15 am so perhaps more accurately very early this morning, I woke up. From 3:15 to 4:17, I tossed and turned, writing my book in my brain. At 4:17, I gave it up, came downstairs to get my laptop, and spent the next 1-1/2 hours writing. At 6:05 am, I came downstairs again to feed the cats. Then I turned off the computer, turned off the lights, and tried to sleep again. But I was still thinking about the book. Still remembering things I wanted to include, plot points to add, ideas to be sure to incorporate.

Why I woke up at 3:15 am is a mystery. I was having trouble sleeping all night, not made any better by a cat sleeping stretched to her limit in the absolute center of the bed. I could have moved her, but instead I tried to sleep around her. And was uncomfortable. But that was probably chicken vs. egg too. If I was tired enough, I would have been able to sleep anyway.

But the book is starting to get to a tipping point. The first story is almost finished. The real story of one of the guys. Once I've finished that story, I will truly feel like I'm on the road to writing a book.

I keep thinking I'm almost there. And then at 3:15 am, my brain starts of thinking about other things I want to add. Last night is the first time I've actually gotten up and written. However, I have a feeling it won't be the last.

Tipping point - obsession or goal. Maybe the better question is whether there's a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment