Thursday, February 3, 2011

Office Bound

This week, I am finally back in an office after nearly seven months of being a teleworker. During that seven months, I have had periods when I worked in one of my company's buildings in the area - the company has many - but I didn't have an office that was mine.

It's been interesting to be a teleworker. As I've noted before, there are pluses and minuses to the experience. The biggest plus has been being able to receive packages, furniture, etc., without having to take time off or arrange to be at home. Most of the time, I was already here. The biggest minus has been a lack of personal interaction. Sure, I exchanged emails with my co-workers. We had many conference calls. When I first started being a teleworker, I was concerned that I would not be able to stay in the loop. I was afraid that not being around my co-workers every day would mean that they would forget to tell me things. But the fact is that the organizations that I support are located all over the place, many of my colleagues are teleworkers, and so communications are already a challenge being addressed. That being said, I lobbied to no longer be a teleworker. And this month, I succeeded.

So now I have an office. It's nice to be around people all day again. I don't feel bound at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment