Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Perimenopause Sucks

For more than 25 years, I was on birth control pills. One of the best side benefits of being on the pill is that you know exactly when you will have your period. It makes planning life much easier.

However, now that I'm in perimenopause, I can't plan around my period. Because I never know when it's going to come. For the months I worked at home, I didn't get my period at all. I just wasn't around other women enough to have my period "triggered".

Since I've been back working in an office since the beginning of the year, I've had several "extra" periods. And they last longer. The last one lasted 8 days. And several of those days were as heavy as when I was a teenager. Not the ideal by any stretch.

In the last days I was on the pill, I had a period for maybe 4 days, and most of those days were really light. I have been much more used to this scenario.

I'm hoping that, after a few more months in an office, my hormones will settle down again, and I'll get back to a more "normal" period. It probably still won't be possible to plan around it. But it would be good not to have more than one a month.

It's funny how one's expectations change. But I still think being perimenopausal sucks. If only because I'm a planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment