Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Not All Reality Is Equal

So many reality shows are worthless. And so many reality shows only make the participants look stupid.

I'm not talking so much about the new-generation talent shows. Honestly, I don't think that American Idol is any worse than previous generations of such shows. Yes, the audition shows are vile, but those that make it into the top three or four have proven that they have some talent. Carrie Underwood. Chris Daughtry. Kelly Clarkson. Millions of CDs sold.

But look at The Hills. Worthless. Jersey Shore. Embarrassing.

In the past few years, there have been a few shows staring rock stars. I think The Osbournes started it. For the past few years, there has been "Gene Simmons Family Jewels" on A&E. If you had told me that I would enjoy watching Gene Simmons from KISS on a reality show, I would have laughed in your face. The only thing I knew about him was that he claimed to have slept with thousands of women. I thought he was full of himself and honestly a bit disgusting. The thing is that he is full of himself. But he laughs at himself about that. He's been living with the same woman for many years now, and they have two kids who are teenagers. The show is about their family. And his business. And it's really quite funny and interesting. Who knew?

Now there's a new rock star family show - "Growing Up Twisted". With Dee Snyder, the lead singer of Twister Sister. Also on A&E. Seems like more than a little bit of a copycat to "Family Jewels". And I just don't see that Dee Snyder will be as charismatic as Gene Simmons. So I don't think I'll be watching that particular reality show.

Not all reality is equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment