Sunday, August 8, 2010

Time Flies

Last weekend was my high school's 30th reunion. How could that be? I'm not old enough to be 30 years out of high school. At least it doesn't feel that way. Time flies.

It got me to thinking about some other milestones. Being 30 years out of high school means I'm 26 out of college. And 23 out of graduate school. Amazing.

I've lived in Northern Virginia for 25 years, having moved back to the DC area in 1985 to go to graduate school, but to VA instead of MD where I grew up. And yet I still don't think of myself as a Virginian. Not a Marylander either. Just a citizen of the United States. Or a DC area native. Maybe it's from living in Northern Virginia, but I just don't identify with the state as a place that I'm from. Strange.

My sister married her husband almost 20 years ago now, when his kids were kids. Now the eldest of his kids is going to have a kid. Cool.

I've loved a handful of men, but haven't loved anyone in more than 15 years. Sad.

I've been working for 26 years since I graduated from college. I was a professional editor for 10 years, and haven't been a professional editor (i.e., that hasn't been my title) for 13 years. And I still write and edit almost every day as part of my job, as I have for pretty much my entire career. Odd.

In the 26 years I've been working, I've worked for New Boston Group, The Congressional Information Service, Codeworks Corporation, Hart Research, Relevant Knowledge, Validity Corporation, Effinity Financial Corporation, Treasury Bank, the CARES Commission, Northrop Grumman, Cognosante, and Northrop Grumman. Of all of those firms, only Hart Research, Northrop Grumman, and Cognosante still exist. That's a lot of baseball caps and coffee mugs for companies that have gone out of business. Entrepreneurial or maybe stupid.

It's an interesting set of statistics. There's lot of data in there. But the bottom line....

Time is flying by.

No comments:

Post a Comment