Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Going Topless

For most of the spring and summer, and hopefully into the fall, I go around topless. For the past couple of years, my sister has been doing it too. Honestly, I think she started doing it because I was. We really enjoy it. Look for excuses to do it, actually. Generally, I think men like it, but I don't have any direct knowledge one way or another. Except for an occasional smile.

No, it's not what you think. Or not what I've been implying. We drive convertibles.

I first drove a convertible in California. Seems to me that the first time you drive a convertible, that's the place to do it. I was spending a week in California driving from San Diego to San Francisco. Up the PCH. So I splurged and rented a convertible. A Sebring.

I wasn't sure whether I would like driving with the top down. I'm not a fan of speed. At least not on bicycles or motorcycles. It scares me, and I'm not a fan of being scared (some people are, you know). Driving is another story. I tend to speed when driving on the highway and driving a convertible hasn't changed that. I guess I feel more protected in a car than I do on other "topless" vehicles. I know that I feel more in control, and anyone who knows me, knows I'm a bit of a control freak (okay, more than a bit, but that's a subject for another post). But it turns out that I really like driving a convertible. Fast or slow.

I've noticed that a lot of women, when riding in a convertible, use a hat or a scarf to keep their hair under control. I suppose I understand the impulse. But I like the wind in my hair. It helps that my hair isn't so long that it gets in my eyes. Every once in a while, but generally not.

In addition to the wind in my face, I like the sun on my face. Since I live in Washington, July and August tend to be hot and humid. But as I'm generally driving early in the morning (to work) and in the mid- to late-evening (from work), I miss the worst of the heat. As long as the traffic is moving, however, even in the middle of the day, I'll drive with the top down. There's usually enough air moving from the speed to keep me reasonably cool. I have been caught in traffic on occasion with the top down and have really wanted to put the top up because it got too hot. But if I'm just heading home, then I just don't care. My clothes are generally going to go in the wash or to the dry cleaners anyway. So unless I am decked out or it's raining, the top is down.

It's actually one of the areas in which I consider myself low maintenance. Several of my girlfriends won't ride with me with the top down. They don't like the wind in their hair or the sun on their faces. Or sweating. Or maybe they have some other reason. Are they high maintenance? I suppose you could argue that.

Maybe they just don't want to go topless.

No comments:

Post a Comment