Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why Are Black Animals Not Wanted?

I don't think it's a racist thing - though others might argue - but for whatever reason, black animals are very hard to get adopted.

I started this spring with five kittens - two light gray tabbies, two dark gray tabbies, and one black with an undercoat of tabby. Who's left? The black one.

Last year, I had three foster kittens - all black. The rescue organization was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get them all adopted in about a month.

I'd say it was stupidity about black cats and superstitions, except that it's not just black cats. Apparently, this isn't just a problem for black kittens and cats, but also for black dogs. When the fact is that black labs are some of the greatest dogs on earth! Makes no sense to me.

I posted a note about this on Facebook, and one of my cousins said that the same is true for horses - the black ones are the last ones adopted or bought.

Personally, I think black animals are beautiful. Charley looks very sleek with her black coat. The undercoat just adds a touch of "flavor" to her blackness. She's beautiful and someone should love her.

To be fair, apparently it's hard to get all solid colored animals adopted. Multi-colors are just preferable. Weird, huh? But of the solids, the black ones go last.

So next time I'm in the market for new cats - which won't be for many years hopefully since my current cats are only 5 - I'm going for the black ones.

In the meantime, fingers crossed that people look past the black to find the loving animals - and give them a good home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of black cats (and black pugs, for that matter!) THe last two cats I got were black-- and that was on purpose!- I'm only sorry that I don't have room for another member of the house right now.

    Beyond superstition, black animals don't photograph as well, unless you get the lighting right.

    Keep postin' Barbara!

    wjp

    ReplyDelete