Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On Giving Thanks

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas. They believe that a true Christian should celebrate Christ every day, not just once a year. (They also don't celebrate Easter or birthdays. According to Wikipedia, this is because of the pagan association with those holidays and celebrations.)

There are those who feel the same way about Thanksgiving. Perhaps not that one shouldn't celebrate it at all, but that one should not use the holiday as an excuse to not be thankful all year long.

While I understand their point - and perhaps even agree with it to some extent - I think it's important also to have a single day of the year when we really take the time to be thankful. To take the time with family and friends to slow down, to think about what really is important and therefore what we have to be thankful for, and to say out loud "thank you" to those people who are important in our lives.

Felix teaching Patrick about Thanksgiving (thanks Patricia for posting on Facebook): Patrick (age 4): I'm thankful for TV and video games. Felix (age 9): You're not supposed to be thankful for those things on Thanksgiving, just important things. ...I'm thankful for my home, food, and my parents. Patrick: You said you're thankful for parents. Felix: I am! Patrick: You're supposed to be thankful for me!

Out of the mouths of babes...

So here in public are the things I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful that our parents raised us to be nice people. That we all get along just fine, thank you. That we love each other, support each other, and generally act as families are supposed to to each other - with respect and honor.

I'm thankful that my parents are happy and healthy in their later years. At 82 and 78, still going strong and still in full possession of their faculties. Can't ask for much more than that.

I'm thankful for a job that I enjoy. While, like any job, it has it's bad days, for the most part, I work with smart people doing good things. Again, can't ask for much more than that.

I'm thankful to be reasonably well off. I'm not rich, but I don't have to worry about money too much. I do worry about having enough money for when I do decide to retire (in 15 years or so!). But I have plans for that and seem to be on a good path. In my mid 20s, when I was in grad school, I was living on $400 a month. I've also been unemployed a couple of times since then and had to watch every penny I spent. I remember well those times and am still thankful that I now am in a position to buy what I need and want when I need and want it. And I try to remember - as part of my thankfulness - to spread the wealth to those who are less fortunate or who are trying to help those in need.

I'm thankful for my health. I have good genes and so far they are holding up. There have been a few health scares along the way, but overall, I can't complain. No chronic pain. No congenital problems.

I'm thankful to live in a country where I am free to be what I can be, to think what I want to think, and to say what I want to say.

Thanksgiving may be an American tradition. But I think it's a good one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment