Monday, November 30, 2009

Spreading The News

My Uncle Bill - one of the few uncles that I know reasonably well - is in the hospital. So my mother asked us kids to contact him via phone or email or letter to let him know we were thinking about him. I thought about calling, but cell phones and hospitals seems like a tough combination. And my aunt, his wife, said he was having some trouble remembering things from being on strong pain medications. So it seemed like an email was a better alternative.

But what to write? I didn't want to be maudlin and talk too much about the problems he's having. It's been a bad few years. He had to have all his teeth removed. His new dentures haven't ever really fit. He now has a carcinoma that they can't operate on because he's in too much pain from bursitis. So he's in the hospital so they can try to find the right pain meds for him to take and get his pain under control before they operate. Not a good time at all.

I decided to write about my life and times. About organizing the family portrait to be taken at Christmas and the logistics of all that craziness. About work and some upcoming changes that we are expecting to happen soon. And about the animal rescue volunteer work that I do. Just trivial stuff, really. But hopefully something to make him smile. To let him know that I was thinking about him. And to maybe distract him for just a little while.

Godspeed, Uncle. I hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment