Saturday, February 20, 2010

Denied!

Now that the snowapocalypse is over, the DC metro area has slowly been returning to normal. Sidewalks are becoming clear again. Driveways have been shoveled. The kids finally went back to school. People are free to explore the great wide world again.

Maybe that explains the insanity that was Tysons Corner mall today. Honestly, you would have thought it was late December. First, you couldn't get off the Beltway for the Rt. 7 exit. Inching off the highway and up the exit ramp, I was confused about why things were moving so slowly. At the top of the ramp, there was a fairly substantial pothole - as there are all over town. I thought perhaps that was the reason why it took so long to get off the highway. Until...I got off the exit ramp and there were still a ton of cars. Frustrated by the number of cars, I took my usual back route into the mall, off Rt. 7 and behind the building with the Tower Club. When I got within sight of the parking lot, I could see that it was pretty crowded. Up the ramp to the top floor. Down one lane. No spaces. Down the next lane. No spaces. People doing the slow crawl behind people walking to their cars, waiting for them to leave so they could get their parking space. Now granted quite a few parking spaces on the top level were still covered in snow. But really? I decided I didn't need to shop that badly.

I got back on the highway and dropped off my spare keys at my niece's (she's taking care of my cats when I travel next week). It was nice to move at normal speeds again.

Since it was late afternoon, I decided to head to the gym. It was a little on the early side for me, but I didn't think I would go out again if I went home. So I decided just to go to the gym, rather than not get exercise again. Turning into the parking lot (another one!), there was a long line of cars. Up and down rows again. No spaces. People following other people to their cars. What is going on here? I finally gave up. Figured I'd go for a run at home. Or do a workout video. Something. Anything other than spending another minute driving around an overly full parking lot.

Maybe it's because everyone was stuck at home for a while recently. Maybe it's because the parking lots have fewer spaces because of mounds of snow. Whatever the reason, today was not a good day to accomplish tasks. Denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment