Monday, February 1, 2010

Stress On Stress

I'm reasonably used to a certain amount of stress in my life. I manage proposals, often for many millions of dollars. I am usually on at least one deadline. Sometimes more than one. The people who are feeding me pieces of the proposal are usually behind. Anyone who works in proposal world - as we call it - can tell you that it's not for sissies.

I have at times also been out of work and trying to find a new job while still managing to pay my mortgage. The first time it happened, I was horrified. It's very hard not to have your ego crushed by the constant rejection. Not to feel demoralized by the lack of response from jobs you are sure may actually be beneath your qualifications. It's a kind of stress that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

But tomorrow - tomorrow! - I will experience something I've never experienced before. Because tomorrow - tomorrow! - we are issuing a press release with my name on it. If all goes well, my phone should be very busy.

And I have to say articulate things to the people who call. I will be the first person in our company for many of them, assuming we get calls.

Then again, what if no one calls? What if we issue the press release and absolutely no one finds it compelling? My boss expects the news outlets in our space to be very interested. She expects this to make a big splash. What if it doesn't? What if no one cares? We have been working on this deal for a while. It's a very big thing for us. She expects this to be the first of many press releases because it should be the beginning of lots of change.

It's a lot of pressure. It's a lot of stress. Really it's stress on stress. Stress squared. Maybe I should get some rest now.

Wish me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment