Friday, March 5, 2010

Blogging In Bed

So I finally got around to setting up a wireless network in my house. The great advantage - blogging in bed.

I think I've posted previously about writing in my blog from my iPhone. Now that's worked pretty well. But honestly, the screen is a little small, and it's a little hard to see what I'm typing.

Full laptop screen - much better
Full keyboard - much better
Touchpad - meh

Still, it makes me feel very high tech to be able to carry my laptop around the house and work from anywhere. Or blog. Or play FarmVille. Or check my email. Or whatever else needs the internet to do.

It's interesting how dependent I have become on having access to the internet. This past 9 days, when I was traveling to Atlanta, I thought that I had to pay for internet access in the hotel. (Turns out, they were giving it free to conference attendees, but I didn't find that out until halfway through.) The hotel, as it did for most things, charged an outrageous fee of $13.95 per 24 hours for access to the web. Nuts! So I was being very judicious about spending my company's money getting access to the web to do things like blog or play FarmVille. I can blog from my iPhone, but iPhones don't work with Adobe Flash, and that's needed to play FarmVille.

Not that I'm addicted to FarmVille. Well, except that maybe I am.

Anyway, when I got this new laptop and decided to install the wireless network, it was really to be able to work at my dining room table - where it's warm - rather than downstairs - where it's cold - when I'm working from home. Or on weekends. Before, I would have to disconnect and move the phone, DSL, and Cat5 cables upstairs to be able to use the laptop at the dining room table and connect to the internet and work email. Now I can use the laptop from anywhere in the house. Including in bed. So I can blog in bed.

Now if only I could remember the password I used to encrypt the wireless network - so I can hook up my work laptop to it too. Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment