Sunday, March 28, 2010

Keeping My (Political) Mouth Shut

So here's the question? If a friend posts something on Facebook that you completely disagree with, should you comment on it? That is, start a controversial discussion? Or should you just leave it alone?

My modus operandi is generally to leave it alone. I have several Republican friends, including an aunt who registered as a fan of Sarah Palin. And I think Sarah Palin is a complete idiot and actually an embarrassment to women everywhere. I think my aunt is a great lady, a strong woman, so I have to say that I was surprised that she was a fan of Sarah Palin, even though I know that my aunt has Republican tendencies. But I didn't comment on her post that she's a fan of Sarah Palin. I left it alone.

Another friend posted that he had watched The Blind Side and that it was a great movie with important Christian values. Now, I haven't seen the movie and so I don't know how the Christian values come into play. But if it's because this family opened their hearts and their homes to a young man who needed a home, then I don't quite get how that's exclusively a Christian thing. It seems to me that other religions and those who are not religious at all still do kind things in the world. But I left it alone.

A third friend posted that he was a fan of the healthcare reform bill. And some of our mutual friends posted negative responses. And I found it disconcerting. A lesson learned, perhaps? I think I'm going to just leave it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment