Monday, March 8, 2010

It's Important To Spoil Yourself Once In A While

I'm a firm believer in doing nice things for oneself.

I always buy myself a birthday present. Something that I know no one else will buy for me. Even if there were a man in my life, I think I would still buy myself a birthday present. Because I wouldn't expect him to spend that kind of money on me. But I would expect him to allow me to spend my money on me. He, of course, would be allowed to spend an equivalent amount of his money on himself for his birthday. Only fair, after all.

I also tend to spoil myself when I get my Federal tax refund. Because I usually claim almost no deductions, I usually get a fairly hefty deduction back. In some years, that's my vacation fund. I've gone to the Caribbean a couple of times using my Federal refund. Sometimes I do other things to spoil myself. Buy jewelry, for example.

This year, I'm putting most of my refund into my house fund. I'm going to house-hunt soon, and I am trying to have enough in the bank to cover my closing costs so I have that much more to put down on the next house. Or you can look at it as adding to the amount I have for a down payment. Either way, I've been trying to save money for the past few months - in large quantities.

But I also need to spoil myself. Just a little bit. So I bought a new pearl ring to go with a pearl necklace I bought three years ago in Hawaii. Another time I was spoiling myself - as well as mourning and celebrating the life of a friend who had just died. So my pearl necklace is a sort of memorial to him. But I don't wear it much because I don't have anything that goes with it really. Hence, the new pearl ring. So that I will honor my friend.

And spoil myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment