Thursday, April 15, 2010

I Think I Can, I Think I Can

With a little help from my friends, I think I have found a new house, sold the old one, and figured out how to put a downpayment on the new one without getting the proceeds from the old one. Whew! It has been three weeks of challenges.

Got the offer on my current house. That caused a scramble to find a new house for me. Three weekends of house-hunting. Endless numbers of three-bedroom townhouses. After a while, it was hard to remember which was which.

Finally found one that I liked. Made an offer. They countered the offer.

In the meantime, the buyer on my current home did a home inspection.

In the meantime, I had to figure out the timing of closings. When to move out of one house and into the next house. Whether to try to ask for back-to-back settlements, which is apparently almost never done anymore.

Which, of course, affected the financing. More decisions to be made there.

Whether to accept the counteroffer. If not accepting, what to change. Decided to ask for a settlement contingency verbally, not as part of the counter to their counter. And they rejected that idea. And yet were nervous about my financing without it. So I declined their counter. A preemptive strike because they would have rejected my counter.

Got the list from the home inspection of what they wanted fixed. Needed to decide about each of those items.

Found another house. Submitted an offer. It was accepted! Contract ratified.

I think I have the downpayment together. Pending a few more questions to various financial institutions.

Countered the home inspection requests.

I think I can, I think I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment