Friday, April 23, 2010

What Happened To Thank You?

I make a point of telling people that I work with that I appreciate their work, even when they are doing the job that they were hired to do. Somehow that seems to be a lost art.

Most of the time, it's a simple response. An acknowledgement that I had asked for something to be done, and it was done. Preferably as I asked.

But it doesn't seem to happen to me very often. I'm not asking for an effusive thank you. Just a simple "thanks" would work well. That's what I try to provide. And perhaps, when going above and beyond, something more that. Perhaps a note of thanks that includes more than just me - a public thank you. And if it includes a "you did a good job" all the better.

I've heard it said that if you have to ask for a compliment, then it's not a compliment. While I'm not sure I actually agree with that, I would also say that that's not all I'm talking about here.

I'm talking about appreciating that someone did something for you. Just as in life, we say please and thank you. Those skills should not be left behind just because we are in a work environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment