Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Skin You're In

I have very sensitive skin. I have to say that it pretty much stinks.

When I try on new clothes, which still have the preservatives used to "keep them fresh", they irritate my skin. For hours. Even after I take them off. The skin itches. Very annoying.

If I scratch my skin - just walking around and I happen to randomly scratch at my skin - not only do I get a welt so you can see on my skin exactly where I scratched, but my skin will start to itch. Again, for hours.

I can't wear wool because my skin is so sensitive. That's not just next to my skin but anywhere on my body. Unless it's very fine boiled wool. When I got my second degree black belt, one of the cool things was a "letterman" jacket with leather sleeves and a boiled wool body. I couldn't wear it. I tried. I even did it a few times, even though I was miserable the whole thing. I still have that jacket. Couldn't bear to give it away. Somehow it would be wrong for someone to wear it without having earned it.

Apparently, the acne on my face is also a result of my skin being sensitive. I now use a very expensive face cream to combat that sensitivity. So now it's not just annoying, it's costly.

So despite the tag line of the commercial, sometimes I just don't "love the skin" I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment