Monday, October 12, 2009

Tchotchkes

Apparently, I have a lot of tchotchkes. Otherwise known as knickknacks. I collect vases, so I have quite a bit of those. I have both glass and ceramic ones. The display case in my living room has about 20 vases. The rest of my house has probably a dozen more.

I have a couple of other display areas. One is a collection of tchotchkes from my college days - a Lego castle, a pair of glass dolphins arcing over a piece of wood, a couple of Russian nesting dolls - all things that I either got from college beaus or from my sister on her travels during that time. So they have some sentimental value.

But to show my house, I need to seriously limit the number of tchotchkes on display. For the pictures of my home, there should be only minimal displays. That way, the house will look less cluttered and bigger.

The same thing goes for pictures on the walls. I asked my real estate professionals, and they said that it's good to have some bare walls. Rather than having something on each wall.

Same idea with closets. It's best to have the closets be somewhat empty. They look bigger that way.

Needless to say, I'm not going to throw all this stuff away. Instead, I will have to rent a storage space for a few months. Until I sell this house and buy another one.

So if you come to my house in the next couple of months, you'll see fewer tchotchkes. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment